Friday, January 30, 2009

love and grace

I've been having some all consuming issues with one of my children which I have been praying about and the answer I continue to receive is "love him through it" and grace. I believe in the power of prayer so if you are so inclined, please pray for him.
Love is an overused word. But it also happened to be the focus of my bible study this week. (no, I don't think it was simply coincidence) I was overcome by that warm feeling of love from my very maker this week. It made me want my children to feel like that at all times... overcome with warmth knowing how much I love them, and even more than that, how much our heavenly Father loves them.




I subscribe to a spiritual parenting newlsetter by Mimi Doe and she moved me today with her inspiring words on love. I thought I'd share...

Spread love everywhere you go. Let no one ever come to you without leaving better and happier.
- Mother Teresa


~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

SENDING LOVE IN PRAYER

When we pray, we wrap our words with conscious spiritual intent. All of our words, not just those used in prayer, have powerful effects that we can use as we spiritually parent. Here are a few prayer practices for you to try.

- Words aren't always necessary for prayer. Simply feel appreciation and gratitude in your heart, as if your prayer has already been answered, even if circumstances tell you otherwise. Rather than pray with your head, this prayer is from your feeling modality. Rather than pleading for something or attempting to make something happen, wordless prayer allows you to experience the gratitude for what you wish to come to pass. This can be the most powerful of prayers.

- Asking for prayer from others and offering it in return can be an enormous gift of Spirit. Many times, close friends have held my prayers as their own during times I found challenging. As we include others in our personal prayer life, our children see us choosing to amplify our own connection. And we can certainly invite our children into the process, asking them to remember others who need prayer or offering to hold them in silent, close connection with a loving God. My friend and fellow author Celia Straus left a prayer on her teenage daughter's pillow each evening. Those prayers have been collected in Celia's book for teenage girls,
Prayers on My Pillow. Buy yourself a copy of Celia’s beautiful book and begin your own tradition of writing prayers for your children.

- Write a letter to the Source that fuels and guides you. It may feel awkward and a bit strange to put pen to paper or fingers to keyboard for this purpose. Think of it as a way to focus your thoughts, clearly express your thanks, release your worries, or ask for guidance. Writing to God can be like talking to a close and trusted friend. It may also be similar to a good journaling session. There is something very soothing and freeing when we reveal our innermost thought and desires in a context that is safe and free from judgment.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Love was meant to be also a sign, a symbol, a messenger, a telltale of the Divine.... Love is a messenger from God saying that every human affection and every ecstasy of love are sparks from the great flame of love that is God.
- Fulton J. Sheen

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
LOVING WORDS TRANSFORM US

Remind your children how much you love them, even when it might be a struggle. They need to regularly hear words of encouragement from their parents. Brianne, age 16, who recently broke her wrist, received some much-needed affirmation at just the right time. "I know that my parents love me because they keep encouraging me through this tough time. It's so hard to get my work done at school but they never force me to do homework when I'm not feeling well. They tell me to do it later or to rest when I feel like resting. The other night my Dad said how proud he was that I was trying so hard."

Words of love can seem like such a small thing, easily overlooked in the daily hustle. Over a lifetime, they make all the difference in the universe. I was blessed to be with my father when death was drawing near. Not a day goes by that I don't think of his description of moving towards the light. He said, "I see now that all that truly matters in life is love. We just need to love each other."

As we strive to move ahead in life, to get it all done and to raise successful kids, think of the parting words of my dad: "Love each other." Love your children, love your partner, love your parents, love your friends, and you will deeply nurture their spirits while enriching your own soul.

Words have the power to transform. Celebrate your love by practicing the following ideas:

- Be thoughtful with your word choice, tone, and timing. Author Christopher Morley wisely stated that, "If we all discovered that we only had 5 minutes left to say all that we wanted to say, every telephone booth would be occupied by people calling other people to tell them that they loved them." September 11, 2001, proved Morley's point. Tell those you love how much you love them - often.

- Remain attentive to the words you use as you part in the mornings and last thing in the evenings.

- Ask your child what helps him to feel really loved. This is easier with a young child. If yours is a teen, he will probably be embarrassed by the questions, but the simple effort of asking reminds him you care. Our teens are multidimensional, fascinating human beings and, by knowing their likes and dislikes, we learn more about their unfolding personalities. Maggie, age 15, says, "My dad asked me the name of my favorite ice cream. I was pretty surprised he didn't know but he's a busy guy. It made me feel so special when he came home the other night with Mississippi Mud. He nailed it."

- Offer lots of words of praise when appropriate. The appreciated child is far less likely to have an attitude problem.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

PARENT CHECK-IN

Take a moment to pause and recall the times in your life when someone said something to make you feel loved.
What is the first scenario that comes to mind?
What was said to you?
What might you say to help your child feel that same sensation of being loved?


~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

You can follow Mimi's blog here http://mimidoe.typepad.com/

How will you share His love today?

No comments:

Post a Comment