Friday, July 23, 2010

They're teaching me...


This week was our annual VBS at church. Five nights of teaching kids about Jesus and kid food for supper, games, songs, crafts, stories and activities. It's always super-fun (and super-exhausting) and my kids enjoy it so much. I am involved each year and for the past three, I've been doing spotlight drama, in which I take photos and make a slideshow for the kids to see at the end of the evening. It is what I love to do and the kids really seem to enjoy seeing themselves on the big screen. I was feeling a little disappointed and not as into it this year as the past because the company went with a different program and my slideshow just wasn't as meaningful and/or funny as it has been. Wednesday night, my co-hort and I came up with a way to do our own little bit of it and the slideshow seemed better. Plus I was just having a hard week in general. I was starting to feel much better. Then God gave me a glimpse of his love that I will never forget.
That night at VBS, it was a classic example of how we must become like little children to enter the kingdom of heaven. And for me, it was also an example of how so many times when I am teaching the children about God, it ends up being them who are teaching me.
The kids were doing an activity where the crew leaders tied strips of white gauze to their arm to represent their sin. Then they learned about what sin was and how Jesus died to take that away from us. So the crew leaders took the strip off of them and said “Jesus loves you” to each child.

The children were then instructed to take the strip of gauze representing their sin and go up and hang it on the wooden cross and say “Jesus changed my life”. It was very reverent and very beautiful.

I was taking pictures of all of this so I was up by the cross snapping away when little Adam Sweeney trotted up there. If you don’t know him, you are missing out. He’s a walking miracle, literally! When I met him two years ago, he could not walk and you should see him now! He was born with spina bifida among other things and they were told he would never walk. He has no feeling in his legs, yet he walks now with no assistance at all! Well, Adam is pretty little and I saw that he couldn’t reach. I put aside my camera and lifted the little guy up to the cross. As he laid that strip on the wooden cross, I could hear his strong, clear voice say “Jesus Changed My Life”. Oh, I melted. I put him down and said “He sure did, buddy” and had to leave the room to go sob. Thank you Jesus. What a blessing!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment