I saw this hutch shelf thingy laying in the grass by the curb and I couldn't get it out of my mind. I kept thinking of things I could do with it. So the next day, I ran over there to see if it was still there. IT WAS! So I snagged it and it sat on my porch for a couple weeks. Upside down. I decided I'd put it in my dining room but use it for much needed storage instead of pretty dishes and such. I wasn't crazy about the glass doors so I needed to figure out how to cover them so my junk didn't show.
Enter... the $5 paper pack that I bought and have been using for various projects the past few months. I love all the colors and designs in it so much that I may have to purchase another one since I used most of it after this project. My friend Amy came over and decided she wanted to help me with it and WA - LA it was done. Do you love it? I love it!
We simply attached the scrapbook paper to the glass with photo mount stickers. I figure I can switch out the papers whenever I get tired of them or if they become torn or curled or anything.
So then.... I put some junk on the top shelves and decide to use the bottom ones as Elli's barbie doll house. I had made her one out of cardboard boxes after Christmas and it was falling apart so I'd been contemplating making her a better one sometime. THIS way, I can shut the doors when she's done playing and the mess is gone. :) I am loving that idea!
so I set to work wallpapering the walls and building furniture out of blocks.
The previous owner had attached these little hooks for teacups to the bottoms of a couple shelves so I used them for the closet part of the dollhouse. :)
Barbie has a lot of accessories. I built a bunch of little shelves to hold them all. I have no illusions that they will stay neatly in place though. ;-)
Barbie also has a lot of pets apparently. I had help setting it up. ;-)
The best part?
Total cost = FREE!!!!





Great idea!
ReplyDelete