Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Works for Me Wednesday - craft room DIY projects

I've recently completely re-done our little office area and thought I'd share a few projects I recently did for that. I really REALLY wanted a carousel for my markers/pens/scissors/etc that I use for scrapbooking and other crafts... but the ones I could find were $45 and that wasn't feasible for me. So I made my own for about $10 and my friend who has one of those nice ones, just asked me to make one of mine for her because she likes mine better! :-D  I do too. It's colorful and functionable and easily cleaned! (always a bonus) Here's what I did....
I bought simple trays and cups from my local discount store
and a dessert cup for the center
then I decided I wanted it on a pedestal so used a martini glass upside down and hot glued it to the bottom of a tray. I decided to double the trays for a bit more strength plus then I could always take off the pedestal easily if I wanted to take it to a crop or something somewhere.
Then I started hot gluing the cups to the other tray.
isn't it pretty?
So excited to load my stuff in it!
and set on the pedestal
the lazy susan that I purchases at Target for around $6 has kind of a rubbery surface so I just set it on it and didn't need to glue it.


On to my next project. I wanted some nice looking artwork for the walls and I happened to have these four black 12x12 frames so I bought a paperpack for $5 that had the colors I wanted it my room and simply framed four of those papers. The glass serves as the perfect surface for dry erase marker to write messages on! Except, I broke one of the glass as I pressed too hard getting the backs on.
Oops!
So I remembered something I'd seen on pinterest (LOVE pinterest!) and I gathered a few more supplies.
OK, I can't get that picture to turn the right away. ARGH! Blogger recently switched to Google or something and everything looks different on here. It's not making me want to blog at all. Anyway.... You can still see that I took magnet clips and hot glued them right to the paper (which I adhered to the frame backing. I went ahead and took the glass out of another one and did two. So two dry erase boards, and two frames for my kids' artwork to be displayed in. :)


Ta da!
I ultimately decided I didn't like the carousel on the pedestal and took it off and will use that tray for something else eventually.
As soon as I get the rest of my room done, I'll post some before and after pictures. It's QUITE a transformation and I'm totally exhausted from all the work it took. BUT, I'm super pumped to get all crafty more often in there!!! :)

1 comment:

  1. Okay, it has taken me a long time to get on here at home, but it was soooo worth it to see the photos of your creations. Those are so cool. One of the many things I admire about you: your artistic eye. You could sell these at craft shows (or market the display boards to show off some of your photography).

    ReplyDelete